During this year's 2016 BioFlorida Annual Conference, BioFlorida will recognize individuals and organizations for their ingenuity and innovation within the life sciences industry through awarding four distinct awards.
BioFlorida Leadership Award
The BioFlorida Leadership Award is presented to a BioFlorida volunteer who has taken on a leadership role within the organization, dedicated significant time to achieving BioFlorida's goals and has acted as a true ambassador to BioFlorida and the industry.
The 2015 BioFlorida Leadership Award was presented to Thad Seymour, Jr.
Weaver H. Gaines Entrepreneur of the Year Award
The Weaver H. Gaines Entrepreneur of the Year Award honors an individual who has made extraordinary contributions to the growth of Florida's life sciences industry in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical technology or bioagriculture. The award is named in honor of Weaver Gaines, one of the founding directors of BioFlorida.
The 2015 Entrepreneur of the Year Award was presented to Matthew H.J. Kim with Vigilant Biosciences, Inc.
Criteria: Nominees must be a BioFlorida Member and exhibit the following:
- Leadership and management of life science institutions and/or companies;
- Cultivation and training of future scientists and industry leaders;
- Contributed time and effort to BioFlorida and its mission - to advance the life sciences industry in Florida.
David J. Gury Company of the Year Award
The David J. Gury Company of the Year Award honors a company that has achieved significant milestones and has contributed to the growth of Florida's life sciences industry. The award is named in honor of David Gury, one of the founding directors of BioFlorida.
The David J. Gury Company of the Year Award was presented to Claudia Zylberberg, PhD of Akron Biotech.
Criteria: Nominees must be a BioFlorida Member, a for-profit organization and exhibit the following:
- Significant company achievements with measurable results which may include, but are not limited to, financing deals, partnering agreements, research discoveries, grants, clinical trials, approvals, product development and commercialization milestones;
- History of service to BioFlorida and its mission - to advance the life sciences industry in Florida
Nominations for the 2016 BioFlorida Awards are now closed. Award recipients will be determined by a panel of industry experts, all of whom are BioFlorida members, and will be announced during the General Session on Tuesday, December 13, 2016.