BioFlorida Announces 2015 Annual Conference & Expo
Showcases scientific advancements, business achievements and public policy discussions in a collaborative atmosphere
ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioFlorida, Florida’s life sciences association, will host the state’s life science industry during its Annual Life Sciences Conference, October 11-13, 2015 at the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. Key influencers from emerging and established companies, universities, research institutions, economic development agencies, the investment community and the state legislature will participate in the expanded programming highlighting Florida’s areas of strengths including immuno-oncology, precision medicine, medical technology, traumatic brain injury, digital health, regenerative medicine and space research.
Highlights of this year’s program include keynotes and general sessions focused on topics ranging from connecting innovators on a global level to growing Florida’s life sciences community. Three distinct programming tracks, BioScience, BioTrends and BioBusiness, will offer attendees significant and timely insights designed with the momentum and ingenuity of Florida’s life sciences industry in mind.
BioFlorida will once again recognize significant achievements awarding the BioFlorida Leadership Award, the Weaver H. Gaines Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Legislator of the Year Award and the David J. Gury Company of the Year Award. The association will also host their BioPitch program which will provide a springboard for seed and early-stage companies in the state.
KEYNOTES & GENERAL SESSIONS:
- Connecting Innovators Across the World led by Robert G. Urban, PhD - Head, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
- A Personal Point of View - The Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury led by Lisa McHale, Director of Family Relations, Concussion Legacy Foundation and Widow of Tom McHale, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins
- Growing Life Sciences in Florida: A Tallahassee Perspective featuring a panel of leaders:
- Karen Moore - CEO & Founder, Moore Communications (moderator)
- John H. Armstrong, MD, FACS - Florida's State Surgeon General, Florida Department of Health
- Jason Brodeur - Florida House of Representatives, Chairman of the Health and Human Services Committee (R-Oviedo)
- Matt Hudson, Florida House of Representatives, Speaker pro tempore (R-Naples)
- How to Increase Florida Deal Flow: Perspectives from Investors and Entrepreneurs featuring a panel of leaders:
- Randy Scott - Partner, HealthQuest Capital
- Kathy Chiu - Chief Operating Officer, Florida Angel Nexus (FAN)
- Robert Finizio - Chief Executive Officer, TherapeuticsMD
- Weaver Gaines - President & CEO, OBMedical Company
- Steve Parkinson - President & CEO, Lakewood-Amedex, Inc.
- Rhys Williams - Managing Member, Capsoft, LLC
- Successful Entrepreneurial Strategies in Medical Devices led by Maurice R. Ferré, MD - Executive Chairman, Insightec (Past Chairman of MAKO Surgical Corp.)
The Conference will follow three tracks: BioScience, BioTrends and BioBusiness.
BioScience track programming will include:
- Perspectives on Precision Medicine
- Immuno-Oncology: The Next Frontier
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Advances in Diagnostics and Treatment
- Regenerative Medicine: New Solutions and Emerging Therapies
BioTrends track programming will include:
- Innovation in Healthcare: Digitizing Health
- Florida Areas of Strength: Space Research
- Next Generation Technology
BioBusiness track programming will include:
- Strategies for Optimizing Reimbursement
- Spotlight on Innovation
- Regulatory News and Views
- Licensing Executives Society: Beyond “Bio $$ Bucks”
The 2015 BioFlorida BioPitch program will allow seed and early-stage companies to present their business plans and financing requests to a panel of judges. For the first time, the accepted companies will compete during closed door sessions on the morning of October 12th and receive feedback and coaching from mentors and investors. The selected finalists will then present during the general session in the afternoon and the winner will be announced at the conference’s closing session.
BioFlorida thanks the following organizations for their sponsorship of the conference: Platinum Sponsor - Fisher Scientific; Gold Sponsors - Axium Healthcare Pharmacy, IQ Orlando, Lake Nona Medical City, Moore Communications Group, Nova Southeastern University, Saliwanchik, Lloyd & Eisenchenk, Sanford Burnham Preby Medical Discovery Institute and SunTrust Bank; Silver Sponsors - Adams Air & Hydraulics, Inc., Cherry Bekaert LLP, Duane Morris LLP, Florida Atlantic University, Guidewell, Life Sciences of South Florida, NAMSA and Orlando Health; Partnering Sponsors - Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), Bristol-Myers Squibb and PhRMA. Other Sponsors include: AGTC, Arthrex, Inc., Butler Snow LLP, CTD Holdings, Inc., Dawson James, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., GrayRobinson, P.A., Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience, McDonald Hopkins LLC, Moffitt Cancer Center, New World Angels, OneBlood, RS&H, TAMM Net, Inc. and UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Incubator. Exhibitors supporting the event: BayCare Laboratories; Biotility at UF; Brand Institute, Inc.; Concept Companies, Inc.; Cooley LLP; Flad Architects; RS&H, Inc.; Siemens and University of Central Florida Research Foundation. Ad Sponsors: Animal Research Consulting LLC; Beusse, Woter Sanks & Maire, P.A.; Mathys & Squire and Santa Fe College Perry Center.
To register online, visit http://www.bioflorida.com/?page=41. A complete list of speakers and programs can be found on the BioFlorida website. Follow the conference activities on social media using #BioFL2015.
BioFlorida is the voice of Florida's life sciences industry, representing nearly 5,500 establishments and research organizations in the biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices/diagnostics and bioagriculture sectors that collectively employ nearly 80,000 Floridians (Source: Battelle/BIO State Bioscience Jobs, Investments and Innovation 2014).